It’s official, Cameran’s FIRST birthday weekend is here! Where did the time go? Our plans to celebrate have certainly changed due to housing issues, but a small celebration is in the works. In the meantime, I thought it would be fitting to reminisce all the wonderful items that have served her, and us, so well this past year. While nothing will ever fully prepare you for motherhood, I believe every bit helps 🙂
FYI, this is not a sponsored post! Just sharing the love.
1. This Newborn Lounger from Boppy was by my side at all times during the first few months. Your baby will be doing a whole lot of sleeping so when your arms need a break, the lounger can help. This also came in handy for those late night hours when I’d be laying on the floor with Cam, desperate for some sleep.
2. We swear by our Skip Hop’s Diaper Backpack! I know how hard it is to find the perfect bag – you want space, all the right compartments, etc. But have you ever thought about the convenience of it being hands free? I promise a backpack is the way to go. You have no idea how thankful you’ll be to have something completely out of your way. I’ve converted all my friends! Plus, there are SO many cute options nowadays and I’m thinking about upgrading to this one!
3. Finding the perfect stroller and carseat is no easy task so I would suggest doing your research. We went to a few stores and tested some out, and in the end we went with Baby Jogger’s City Mini GT Travel System. Guys, we have been SO pleased with it. And no need to set up the base whenever you switch cars – the seat is designed to work with or without the base! With all the traveling we do, it has been so convenient.
4. To pacifier or not to pacifier? We totally went with! It has been a life saver since week 3 and continues to be one. Nowadays, she mainly takes it for naps, bedtimes, and those really long car rides. The attached cozy stuffed animals make it less prone for them to drop on the floor, but of course not guaranteed 😉
5. These HALO Sleep Sack Swaddles helped Cam sleep through the night at practically 2 months, and it was the best thing ever. There was some transitioning we had to do at 4-5 months, but it was worth it!
6. I know there have been mixed reviews on which diaper pail to get, but I really love ours from Playtex. Inexpensive, locks in the odor, and I appreciate the fact it’s sole purpose is for dirty diapers. Because let’s face it, diapers are never-ending so it’s probably best to keep them separate from the rest of the house.
7. I started the first few months carrying Cam in a Solly Wrap, and it was especially perfect for those days I needed to get stuff done. I will say it was sometimes hard to maneuver here and there, but she stayed snug and asleep, and that was most important. Now we take our Björn carrier everywhere – quick and easy to put on, and it has made things so convenient, especially in crowded areas.
8. Get all the burp cloths because spit up is going to happen! I think this one is a no-brainer, don’t you think?
9. Changing pad. Guys, whatever you do, do NOT get one that is quilted. Messes will happen and they are much harder to clean. Regretfully, we had made this purchase so I feel like it is my duty to recommend this easy-wipe one from Munchkin instead!
10. I’m assuming a crib and dresser are already on your list. We got ours from Babyletto and it has been great! We all have our preferences so I’m just going to go ahead and recommend an inexpensive mattress. In my humble opinion, I just don’t think babies are going to truly appreciate ones that are high-end and made out of memory foam 🙂
11. Cameran’s nails grow unbelieveably fast, and I find myself clipping them at least once a week. I like to use Nose Frida’s Nail Clipper because of it’s safety features! I will say we haven’t really used the file that’s included, but not a big deal.
12. Speaking of Nose Frida, their Nasal Aspirator and Hygiene Filters have been so helpful during those dreaded colds! Trust me, I was super turned off by these when I received them as a baby shower gift, but I am now SO thankful for them. Babies are unable to take cold medicine so this is one of the ways to help them feel better. It’s not as bad as you think.
14. Baby tubs are usually an automatic item we put on our list. But what if there was something WAY comfier and convenient? I discovered Blooming Bath on Instagram and I knew I had to have it. Fits perfectly in the sink because sink baths are just the best, but also so soft and plush to lay your baby on in the tub. Not to mention, machine washable! LOVED it.
15. As much as we enjoy cooking meals at home, it’s always fun to change things up and go out. Our Portable Placemat from Summer Infant has been a life saver! It suctions to the table and has a catcher that does pretty well keeping food at baby level. One of the best purchases we made! And fits perfectly in the backpack 😉
16. And if you want to make it a winning combo, I highly recommend a waterproof/silicone baby bib. I don’t know about you, but I am all about easy clean up!
Preparing to breastfeed can be such a confusing time, and I will say it’s one of those things you’re not quite sure until it happens. Kind of like giving birth 🙂 I nursed Cam for about 8 months before I decided to switch to formula, but during that time I found these items to be really helpful:
17. I lived in nursing tanks for months – eight months you could say. I tried to look cute, but when it came down to it, it was all about convenience for me – late nights, while we were out, during the day, ALL day. Obviously, this was just my preference.
18. Leaking happens! These Washable Nursing Pads from Mendela were my go-tos!
19. Since I was exclusively breastfeeding as a stay-at-home-mom, I found that I didn’t really use my double electric breast pump all that often. I actually found myself grabbing my Manual Pump from Mendela way more for times like date nights or whenever I had to be away from Cam for longer than 3 hours. This really served its purpose and I loved how convenient it was to throw in my bag and go.
20. COFFEE!! Need I say more? 🙂 If you’re into dark roast, the hubby and I love this Cuban Style one from Naviera.
If you’re expecting, I hope something on this list helps you out as much as it has helped us. If you think I’m missing anything, please let me know as I’m always curious about what others use for their little ones. The first year is certainly life-changing, but such a precious time. Savor and enjoy every moment because it really goes by so fast. You blink and before you know it, they’re turning one in just a few days 🙂